As part of the McGowan Government’s reform agenda, a new Local Government Act will be drafted.
Our vision is for the local government sector to be agile, smart and inclusive.
Our objective is to transform local government so that it is empowered to better deliver quality governance and services to their communities now and into the future.
The current system
- Local governments must strike a delicate balance between oversight and red tape.
- A goal of effective regulation is to impose the least amount of resistance to activity while still providing an adequate governance framework.
What you’ve told us
- Proposals to achieve greater efficiency in local government.
- A desire to see consistency in terms used in the Act.
- All local governments regardless of their size should have the same level of powers and responsibilities.
Ideas for change
- A tailored approach to local government governance.
- Amendments to Advisory Board Processes.
- Strong support for repealing the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960.