As part of the McGowan Government’s reform agenda, a new Local Government Act will be drafted.
Our vision is for the local government sector to be agile, smart and inclusive.
Our objective is to transform local governments so that they are better able to deliver for the future in alignment with their communities’ vision and priorities.
The current system
- Local governments are required to prepare: A Strategic Community Plan, a ten-year plan informed by community aspirations; and
- a Corporate Business Plan, which identifies and mobilises resources to deliver community priorities identified in the Strategic Community Plan.
What you’ve told us
- The importance of community engagement to inform strategic planning.
- Support for legislative requirements for councils to adopt community engagement policies.
- Support for high-level legislative requirements to assist local government strategic planning and allow sufficient flexibility across different sized local governments.
- Support for the standardisation of performance measures across local governments.
Ideas for change
- A requirement for local governments to publish measures of success.
- Standardisation of performance measures across local governments.