The State Government invest $3 million into talented athletes, coaches and officials regional areas from 2017 through to 2020.
The Regional Athlete Support Program establishes a statewide network supporting regional-based talented athletes, coaches and officials which allows athletes to continue their development and progress along the athlete pathway from their home environment.
- Support a high quality daily training environment for regional athletes in identified regions in conjunction with the State Sporting Associations and Regional Sporting Associations.
- Facilitate regional athletes' access to high quality coaching and sport specialist services.
- Support the access and participation in high level competition for talented regional athletes.
- To build sustainability of the Regional Talent Development Network through alignment and inclusion in the strategic planning of key regional stakeholders. These include:
- Regional Development Councils
- Chambers of Commerce
- Local governments
- State Sporting Associations
- Regional Sporting Associations.
- Each region’s talent development needs will be identified by various means and verified by State Sporting Associations
- Stakeholders and local service providers who can be involved in supporting talent development in each region are identified and engaged.
- A region owned and sustainable entity is established to coordinate talent development.
- A region talent development plan is developed.
Key result areas
- Support identified SSAs to develop and implement effective regional talent development operational plans
- Lead a coordinated approach to the development of a regional talent development system by engaging key internal and external stakeholders
- Facilitate statewide, across industry regional talent development initiatives that add value to SSAs and regional talent development operational plans
- Support individual athletes through financial assistance for training and competition e.g. entry fees, gym memberships, travel to training camps, travel to competitions etc.