General researcher

Members of the public, such as academics, historians and researchers, can request access to restricted records managed by AHWA for the purpose of general research.

This includes anyone other than a Family History or Native Title applicant applying for access to AHRS managed restricted State Records.


All general research applications are assessed under the Policy for Access to Restricted Information managed by the Aboriginal History Research Service

In line with this policy, general researchers can access personal third-party information if consent from the individual who is the subject of the information is obtained.

Submit a request



The AHWA Policy for Access to Restricted Records is currently under review.

Contact Aboriginal History WA

Telephone 1800 161 301
Level 2, State Library of WA, 25 Francis Street, Perth
PO Box 8349, Perth Business Centre WA 6849

Page reviewed 09 July 2024