The main entrance has a flight of six steps leading to the reception area and exhibition space. There is an alternative wheelchair access point. The ground floor space is accessible, however, the upstairs area is not. There is a ramp that allows access to the performance space and staff can provide assistance if given prior notice. Public transport and accessible parking are close to the venue. Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Assistance is available, so contact the venue to discuss your access needs prior to your visit.
Telephone +61 8 9335 5044
- The nearest train station is Fremantle, which is directly opposite the theatre. The path from the train station to the venue is wheelchair accessible.
- There are bus stops along Market Street and at the Fremantle Train Station which is opposite Pioneer Reserve (where Spare Parts is located). There is a CAT bus to the venue which stops at Stop 1, along
- Phillimore Street and next to the train station. The bus stop is accessible.
- There is a set down/pick up point off Short Street suitable for cars, taxis, maxi taxis and small buses.
There are metered parking bays in the area including Phillimore and Pakenham Streets.
Approach to the building
- The path from the bus stop to the front door is wide and even, and about 100 metres long. The pathway is lit for night use.
- The path from the set-down area to the front door is wide and uneven. Signage to the building is clear to read.
- There are steps between the Fremantle Train Station and the venue, however, there is an in situ ramp.
- The ramp is slightly too steep and does not provide adequate landing space.
- There are directional tactile ground surface indicators at the end of the overpass from the train station leading to the venue entrance. They do not provide any indication of the steps and ramp leading to the venue.
- There is one small step (about 50 mm) into the main entrance. Doors are held open during opening hours. Once inside, there are six steps leading to the theatre.
- There is a ramp down to the theatre from a side entrance.
- Contact the venue prior to your visit to ensure staff are available to assist you because there is not an alternative accessible entrance to the venue.
- The information desk is not wheelchair accessible, but assistance is available.
Foyer, corridors and general areas
There is sufficient circulation space to move through all essential areas of the venue.
- There is no lift available. Access to the upper floor is not available.
- Access down into the performance space is via a ramp. Staff are able to assist with access given prior notice.
- At the time of the audit, there was sufficient circulation space to move through the exhibition area.
- Exhibition pieces are at an appropriate position for viewing from a wheelchair.
- Seating is not available within the exhibition space.
- Written information is generally available in one font size only.
- Access from the foyer to the performance space is via the main public thoroughfare which has five steps and a ramp for special access.
- There is sufficient circulation space to move through the theatre area.
- There is room for wheelchair seating at the front left hand side.
- Seats in the theatre are medium backed, soft, and have no arms.
- There are no numbers on seats.
- Emergency exits are accessible. Staff are trained in emergency procedures.
- There are accessible toilet facilities near the performance space.
- The toilets comply with Australian Standards.