About the survey
The Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries commissioned a survey to assess COVID-19 impacts on employment and revenue in the creative industries in Western Australia.
The purpose of the study was to gather critical data for a statistically reliable survey on the employment and revenue impacts of COVID-19 on the broader creative industries across WA. Specific areas of impact included:
- the number of jobs lost
- the types of jobs and work impacted
- measuring lost revenue by business entity type
- measuring lost revenue by industry category
- reporting on access to COVID-19 support packages.
The review investigated a broad range of creative industries. For the purpose of this survey the creative industries included the following:
- Film, TV and radio
- Photography, writing and publishing
- Fashion, jewellery and textile design
- Performing arts venue operation
- Visual arts, music, theatre and comedy
- Dance, circus, opera and orchestra
- Interactive VR/AR/XR artists
- Games publishing and development
- Libraries, art galleries and museums
- Set, lighting and production design
The scope of this study covers COVID-19 support packages that were announced and received by business entities in the quarterly period between 1 April to 30 June 2020.