WA’s Cultural Groups - Where do you fit in?
In 2012, the department assessed information gathered from five years of independent annual surveys to get a better picture of the cultural groups in WA. This study segmented our population into five groups according to participation in and attitude towards culture and arts.
These groups were :
- The Advocates - 15.8%
- The Culturalists - 14.8%
- The Casuals - 33.7%
- The Disinterested - 23.7%
- The Ambivalents - 12.0%
Key findings show very favourable attitudes towards:
- Supporting Government investment in the arts
- The benefits of exposure to the arts in school programs.
- The idea that the arts make us feel good and help us understand our culture.
- The Advocates and the Culturalists showed the greatest levels of involvement in arts activities.
- The Casuals show the greatest potential for increased activity in attendance at arts performances and events and are likely to be influenced by social media and digital marketing.