Western Australian Trails Strategy 2009-2015 has been developed with
extensive research, community consultation and guidance from a panel of
experts. It is not an implementation plan; it is a framework for moving
forward into the future. An implementation plan is being developed to
support the trails strategy.
The strategy embraces the various
sector participants by articulating high-level principles, direction and
outcomes rather than prescriptive action. In this context, the strategy
is flexible and adaptive but requires interpretation by each potential
contributor to enable achievement by the sector.
The strategy is outlined in several components:
- Purpose: why the sector exists
- Guiding principles: the fundamental concepts that guide the development and operation of the sector
- Vision: The desired end state for the sector over a five year period
- Strategic issues: The key opportunities or issues that must be acted on to achieve the vison
- Strategies: The major themes of activity required to address the strategic issues
- Strategic initiatives: The specific projects or activities that will be completed as part of the strategies
WA Trails Strategy sits within a broad policy/strategy context. This
strategy considers the policies and priorities outlined by existing
economic, environmental, health, recreation and community development
documents relevant to WA trails.
The strategy provides guidance
to new land management plans, user-specific strategies, local
infrastructure plans and future revisions of existing documents. These
should consider the principles, direction and suggested activity
contained in the WA Trails Strategy.
The Department has been an
important player in the development of this strategy. It has been an
initiative equally supported by many stakeholders including the
Department of Environment and Conservation (now Department of Parks and Wildlife) and the WA Planning Commission.
Trails Reference Group
Trails Reference Group is a cross agency/organisation reference group
that influences and guides the strategic planning, development and
communication of actions that support the Western Australian Trails
Senior Policy Officer – Outdoor Recreation
Telephone 61 8 9492 9732
Email Steve Bennett