On 27 June 2019, the Local Government Legislation Amendment Act 2019 was passed by Parliament.
This Act addresses the following key areas:
- Elected member training;
- The treatment of gifts;
- A new code of conduct;
- Changes to the Standards Panel;
- Best practice standards for CEO recruitment, performance review and early termination; and
- Greater transparency as more information will be made more easily accessible online.
The reforms that have already come into operation include:
- Introduction of universal training for candidates and council members;
- Greater access to information held by a local government; and
- The new Gifts framework.
Further information about the priority reforms are available in addition to the frequently asked questions below.
The following reforms are expected to be in place before the end of 2019:
- Changes to public notice requirements;
- Changes to the authorisation of persons; and
- Other administrative matters.
Reforms that will come into effect in early 2020 include:
- A new code of conduct; and
- Best practice standards for CEO recruitment, performance review and early termination.