In a normal year, any sporting events held on ANZAC Day fall under the requirements of the ANZAC Day Act 1960 (the Act) and any organisers of sporting events would have to ensure they complied with the Act.
The following points are for information purposes only, as sporting events earmarked to be held on ANZAC Day in 2020 have been cancelled:
In recent years, there have been changes to the Act which apply to all sporting events in Western Australia. The changes clarify what community sports organisations can and cannot do on the day.
ANZAC Day Act – key features for sporting associations and clubs:
- A sporting event where competitive sport is played AND where either a fee for admission is required to be paid by spectators or donations are sought from spectators, cannot be conducted before 1pm on ANZAC Day.
- Community sporting events can played on Anzac Day before 1pm if a spectator fee is not required OR donations are not sought from spectators.
- For professional sporting and racing events with a minimum attendance of 5,000 people, a new formula of how eligible organisations contribute to the ANZAC Day Trust has been calculated.
- Regardless of location within Western Australia, the contribution is 5% of the price of an adult general admission ticket multiplied by the number of people in attendance.
- These organisations will have to submit a statutory declaration to the Trust with the proceeds. The time in which to provide that statutory declaration has increased from 30 to 90 days. Even if the sporting event isn’t profitable,
a declaration has to be submitted to the ANZAC Day Trust.
- Provision exists for the Minister for Veterans to approve an alternative contribution to the Trust by event organisers but the proposal must be submitted in writing 30 days in advance of the event.
- For a community or amateur sporting event with less than 5000 spectators there is no need to fill out a statutory declaration or make a payment to the Trust.
If required, statutory declarations should be posted to:
Secretary – ANZAC Day Trust
Level 5, Dumas House
2 Havlock Street
West Perth WA 6005
Page updated March 2020.