Effective date: 2 December 2008
Last amended: 6 September 2017
Next review: September 2019
This Policy is designed to provide information in regard to the subject matter covered, and with the understanding that the Director of Liquor Licensing is not passing legal opinion or interpretation or other professional advice. The information is provided
on the understanding that all persons undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its contents.
A standard entertainment condition is imposed on most licences. This condition prohibits lewd or indecent activities; and requires that no one be permitted to be immodestly or indecently dressed on the licensed premises. In this regard, strippers, topless
female staff and R 18+, X 18+ and RC rated films and computer games as well as Category 1 Restricted and Category 2 Restricted publications are not permitted on these licensed premises. The condition states:
- A person resorting to, or on the premises, including the licensee or manager, or an employee or agent of the licensee or manager, shall not:
- i.be immodestly or indecently dressed on the licensed premises, and/or
- ii.take part in, undertake or perform any activity or entertainment on the licensed premises in a lewd or indecent manner.
- The licensee or manager, or an employee or agent of the licensee or manager, is prohibited from:
- i.exhibiting or showing, or causing, suffering or permitting to be exhibited or shown, on the licensed premises any “R 18+”, “X 18+” or “RC” classified film or computer game or “Category 1 –Restricted”
or “Category 2 –Restricted” publication,or extract therefrom; or
- ii.causing, suffering or permitting any person employed, engaged or otherwise contracted to undertake any activity or perform any entertainment on the licensed premises to be immodestly or indecently dressed on the licensed premises; or
- iii.causing, suffering or permitting any person to take part in, undertake or perform any activity or entertainment on the licensed premises in a lewd or indecent manner.
- In this condition “licensed premises” includes any premises, place or area:
but does not include any part of the premises which is reserved for the private use of the licensee, manager or employees of the
licensee and to which the public does not have access.
- i.which is appurtenant to the licensed premises; or
- ii.in respect of which an extended trading permit granted to the licensee is for the time being in force,
Decisions made by the Liquor Licensing Court have determined that ‘immodest’ includes, but is not limited to, bare breasts and bare buttocks. Consequently, the exposure of breasts and/or buttocks (including by way of see through material,
nipple stickers or G –string) on a licensed premises is not permitted.