When a liquor licence is granted an area is defined in red on plans relating to the premises, which the sale, supply and consumption of liquor must occur. If the licensee wishes to change this licensed area they must submit an application for Alteration/Redefinition and receive approval by the licensing authority prior to any changes taking place.
Common changes made to a licensed area that require an alteration/redefinition application include:
- building changes or new structures;
- interior refurbishments or alterations (other than cosmetic changes);
- redefinition of licensed area;
- changing the use of an area; and
- addition of toilets to increase number of persons permitted in venue.
An application for alteration/redefinition of a licensed premises can be made by either the licensee or owner of the premises.